0

Book Review: The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

Posted by ~*Kaila*~ on 10:28 PM in
In The Things They Carried, protagonist "Tim O'Brien," a writer and Vietnam War veteran, works through his memories of his war service to find meaning in them. Interrelated short stories present themes such as the allure of war, the loss of innocence, and the relationship between fact and fiction. Novelist Tim O'Brien's collection of vignettes provides powerful insight into the experiences of foot soldiers in Vietnam — a connection from past to present.

What I liked: Almost everything about the book. I couldn't help but be drawn in for the simple fact that my grandfather served two tours in Vietnam in the United States Marine Corps. I have always wondered about what it was like for him over there because he absolutely refused to talk about his experiences during that time period. This book is so amazingly written that the reader can't even begin to imagine what is real and what isn't real, much as the soldiers in Vietnam had problems discerning what was there and what was in their heads. Although the novel was, understandably, dark and heavy, it invited the reader to experience some of the tumultuous emotions facing the young men sent to fight an "enemy" that they did not understand. It forced me to imagine what sort of nightmares my grandfather most have brought home with on his return.

What I didn't like: There was nothing about this book that I didn't like although one part of the book does stand out as being frustrating. When O'Brien begins talking about the young man that he killed only to reverse his statement shortly thereafter I had to stop and reread the chapter. Once I released what was happening things made a lot more sense and I could see the point of that particular technique.

Details:

Plans: Passed on as part of book ring/ray


|

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Life, books, reviews - oh my! All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.