2

Book Review: The Sherbrooke Bride by Catherine Coulter

Posted by ~*Kaila*~ on 12:07 AM in
Douglas Sherbrooke, Earl of Northcliffe, is a man besieged. He must have an heir. Thus he must first provide himself with the requisite bride.
Alexandra Chambers, youngest daughter of the Duke of Beresford, has loved Douglas Sherbrooke since she was fifteen. Unfortunately, it is her sister, the incomparable Melissande, he wishes to wed.

But life never ladles out what one expects, and Douglas finds himself wed to the wrong sister. If having an unwanted wife isn't enough, he is also plagued by The Virgin Bride, a ghost that is reputedly seen in the countess's bedchamber. Does the willowy phantom really appear to Douglas? Does she speak to him? (Synopsis from Barnes and Nobles)

Review: Another example of why Catherine Coulter is one of my favorite historical romances authors. It's obvious that she takes time to develop her characters and it pays off for her and her stories. The characters are so true and lovable that one cannot help but to feel connected and invested in them as well as their lives and stories.

Doulgas, the Earl of Northcliffe, is the type of character that has to grow on you but Coulter builds him until you can't help but love him and Alex is an underdog. You can't help but feel sympathy for her and before you know you are rooting for her, hoping that she gets everything good that she deserves. I loved the tension between the two main characters as well as the two couples Douglas-Alex and Tony-Melissande. This is the type of romance that I most typically enjoy, the type where the story is almost as much of a background as the setting and the characters are the true core (if that makes any sense).

And on a side note I just have to say that I don't understand when a reviewer is upset by a happy ending in a novel such as this novel. It's a romance novel and while I by no means am trying to belittle the genre or the work that goes into writing a novel in this genre, it's not supposed to be a philosophy text either. I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed with reviewers when their main complaint for a novel in this genre is that it ended with everyone at least moderately happy. Frankly, I get upset when it doesn't end that way, but hey, it could just be me, right?

Details:

Plans: To be included in my historical romance bookbox


|

2 Comments


I read this about 10 years ago and I absolutely loved it. The whole series is fantastic. Great review - you brought back memories.


I love the oldies... I could just keep reading them over and over. :D This is a great book, better than her new stuff, I think. Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Life, books, reviews - oh my! All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.