1

Book Review: The Devil In Vienna by Doris Orgel

Posted by ~*Kaila*~ on 11:53 AM in
Ever since they started school, Inge and Lieselotte have been best friends. But now it is 1938, they are thirteen, and the world is changing. Inge is Jewish, and Lieselotte, at the insistence of her Nazi father, is in the Hitler Youth. Their friendship has become unwise-even dangerous. Yet in a world of increasing terror and despair, as the situation of Jews in Austria becomes more and more desperate, the two girls secretly struggle against "the devil in Vienna" to keep their friendship alive. This new edition contains an illuminating afterword by Doris Orgel. (Synopsis from Barnes and Nobles)

Review: I am fascinated by anything that has to do with World War II or the Holocaust and this book was no exception. The story is written by Inge in the form of a diary that she begins shortly after her best friend Lieselotte moves to Germany. She weaves in childhood memories of her and Lieselotte growing up within the current story of dealing with the Nazis in Austria.

I thought the book was well written and touching. As far as young adult novels set in this time period I think that this one would serve as a great introduction into the topic of Nazi occupation and the Holocaust because it gives a glimpse of what growing up during this time was like without being too much. While I think that everyone should see the effects of the Holocaust without any filters I also feel that young people should be eased into the subject and this novel would be a good start.

Details:

Plans: Added to Princess-Peapod's Wrap it up Bookbox


|

1 Comments


WOW! What a great book. I've added it to my TBR list. I really wish I had read about it before I went to the library today. Oh well...next time. :0

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Life, books, reviews - oh my! All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.