6

Booking Through Thursday

Posted by ~*Kaila*~ on 1:02 PM in
This weeks question:

“What’s the worst ‘best’ book you’ve ever read — the one everyone says is so great, but you can’t figure out why?”

I really had to think about this one because my mind kept going back to The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne which I have hated since I read the first sentence/paragraph. But, when I really thought about it, the worst 'best' book that I have ever read is actually The Cider House Rules by John Irving. I finished it because I was sure that there was going to be something at the end of the novel that would be redeeming, something that would justify the time I spent on the book. I was wrong.



|

6 Comments


I've only seen the movie of The Cider House Rules and I remember it being a little boring. I guess the book was also?
If you haven't read it yet, I recommend Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany. One of the required high school readings I actually enjoyed! Read The Scarlet Letter also, but didn't quite hate it as you lol


I am with you on The Scarlet Letter. I liked The Cider House Rules though.


I saw the film verions and enjoyed it. Sorry to hear you didnt like the book.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


I meant the film 'version'


Ugh, I just read (and hated) The House of the Seven Gables, which made my list for this BTT, so I'm right there with you on the Hawthorne hate train!


I'm worried you chose Irving's 'The Cider House Rules' because I have 'A Prayer for Owen Meaney' on my TBR pile. Thank goodness Kris stepped in and still gave a thumbs-up for it.

I'll try and steer clear of 'Cider House' though :)
Warmest
Rob

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Life, books, reviews - oh my! All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.